Sur Sarovar Wild Life Sanctuary, Agra
A heaven for birds that come here in their multitudes from far and wide, Soor Sarovar was declared a Bird Sanctuary in 1991. Soor Sarovar Wildlife Sanctuary lies in a sprawling 15-acre green expanse, 17 km from Agra District, Uttar Pradesh. Established in 1991, the sanctuary has an area of 4 sq km. Local and migratory birds, jackal, mongoose and hares roam the sanctuary. The Soor Sarovar wetland at Keetham, Agra, is 175 km from Delhi. It is a place of natural beauty. The place inspired poet Soordas to compose the "Bhakti Kavya", one of the finest pieces of devotional poetry ever written.
Soor Sarovar Wildlife Sanctuary Highlights :
- The place that ignited the passions of Lord Krishna and Radha and inspired the famed poet Soordas to compose the “Bhakti Kavya” one of the finest pieces of devotional poetry ever written.
- A heaven for birds that come here in their multitudes from far and wide, Soor Sarovar was declared a Bird Sanctuary in 1991.
- Soor Sarovar bird sanctuary covers an area of 7.97 sq km. Within the sanctuary there is a large lake covering area of 2.25sq km with depth wearing from 4 meter to 8 meter.
- Soor Sarovar is today home to more than 165 species of migratory and resident birds.
- U.P. Forest Department has created woodlands and developed the shallow areas for waders around the lake making it a veritable haven for birds, proof of which lies in the increasing number of nesting sites and the number of species.
- Soor Sarovar Bird Sanctuary is listed as an important bird area (IBA) IN135 and is a proposed Ramsar site.
- Besides supporting numerous resident and migratory birds the sanctuary has around 300 pythons.
- Soor Sarovar has the biggest Bear Rescue centre for rescued dancing bears.
Sur Sarovar Bird Sanctuary Tripadvisor Ranking and Reviews